Self Reliant Diver Specialty
This course teaches you the skills and knowledge needed to be a self reliant diver. This will make you a better diver and dive buddy. It covers the benefits of diving with a buddy but gives you the skills and knowledge to plan and manage dives independently when preferred or necessary.
- This course is intended for experienced divers who want to take their diving to the next level.
- Great for photographers or videographers who’s cameras tend to be their buddies.
What You’ll Learn
- The value and application of the buddy system and the philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a buddy.
- The potential risks, risk management techniques and the need for equipment redundancy in self-reliant diving.
- Self-reliant dive skills, dive planning and gas management calculations.
What You’ll Do
- 1 classroom session
- 3 open water dives (can be done in 1 day)
Course fee: $300 (taxes, boat charter, and equipment extra)
What You’ll Need
To start your PADI Self Reliant Diver course, you must meet the following requirements:
- Hold an Advanced Open Water Diver certification from PADI or equivalent from another recognized scuba diver training organization
- Be 18 years or older
- Minimum 100 logged dives
- Successfully complete a dive skills assessment
- Completed Self Reliant Diver Training form & Con-ed Paperwork
In addition to your standard scuba equipment, you will also need
- Surface marker buoy
- Reel with minimum 100ft of line
- Redundant gas source – pony bottle, twin cylinders with isolation valve or sidemount configuration
- Redundant dive computer
- Redundant surface signalling devices (audible & visual)
- Cutting tool
- Slate and pencil
- Back up mask
Call AquaSub at 905-883-3483 to schedule the dives with your instructor.